Thursday, November 5, 2015

How to Prioritize "Me" Time

Let's face it- life can be pretty hectic at times. While I love the hustle and bustle, it tends to exhaust me after a short while. I'm a huge advocate of understanding your own personality and cultivating independence, however I too forget an important aspect of my week/day- carving out "me" time. Especially when things get busy with work!
How to Prioritize "Me" Time
Although it's often overlooked, nothing recharges me and helps me stay on top of my game like a little "me" time. It doesn't need to be anything extravagant, just something that allows me to take a step back and refocus. My favorite "me" time activities are reading, blogging, at-home spa treatments, baking, and sometimes working out. What I find relaxing really depends on where I am in my day, how much time I have, and my current mood. Here are some tips I use to help prioritize "me" time during my work week:

Schedule dedicated time on your calendar/to do list. This is huge for me. I feel as though I live and die by my Outlook calendar, my planner, and my never-ending to do list. Setting aside time (especially if it comes with a reminder) helps me to remember to indulge. It also helps me to feel as though it's productive and something I need to do to complete my day.

Set a specific amount of time to recharge then return to working. During the busy seasons of my job, like right now, I benefit from taking a break mid-afternoon to reset my mind. This helps me to return to finish out my afternoon strong. When I feel like I'm overwhelmed, I'll decide to take the next 10-30 minutes to do a relaxing activity then return to work fresh.

Remember the benefits you will enjoy! When I look forward to something, I'm less likely to forget it. This is also true for "me" time! By meditating or focusing on how relaxed I will feel afterwards, I'm more likely to set aside the time to achieve those benefits.

Set aside your materials in a visible place. If I want to go running after work, I'll be sure to lay out clothes and put my sneakers in an obvious spot. If I want to read during my lunch break, I'll be sure to put my book in my purse. Even if I'm in a different mindset when the actual time rolls around, I'm more likely to do my relaxation activity if I have all my supplies ready for myself!

These are just a few tips, but I've found them to be extremely helpful to prioritize "me" time in the middle of the hectic work week. I hope you find them helpful as well! Looking for a great face mask to pamper yourself? Read some of my reviews here and here. Prefer to read a new book? Check out my recent reviews!

How do you prioritize "me" time during the week? What are your favorite activities that leave you refreshed afterwards?

22 comments:

  1. I love these tips. I have a stressful job and I work in a creative field, so it's really important that I avoid burnout. I also tend to schedule my 'me time' - usually it's running after work!

    Alessandra | blog.pumpup.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such great tips! I struggle finding "me" time too.
    www.kayleighskloset.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are all great!
    I am always on the go as well so finding me time can be difficult.
    I use my blogging time as my me time usually.

    xoxo, Jenny || Breakfast at Lillys

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, "me time" is so important! I either overdo it, or under-do it, I must find a middle. Great tips, thanks for sharing!
    xo, claudia
    www.chroniclesofclaudia.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me-time is so important and something that can really be overlooked. Self care is vital, especially for those of us that can feel burned out all the time. Great tips! xx Merisa | Monogrammed Magnolias

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so bad about setting time aside to focus on me, such sound advice :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally agree with setting your materials somewhere where you can see them to remind you to take a break! I do that with my workout clothes sometimes. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are such great ideas. I'm so bad at scheduling time to basically just hang out with myself and focus on something that doesn't relate to work or blogging. I can't wait to utilize these ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So true! Making sure what I need is in an easy to get to place is crucial. It's silly, but something so small can really make a huge difference!

    xo,
    Sara Kate Styling

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the idea of taking a little break to recharge. I've never thought about that but think that it might be a great thing to try out!

    xoxo
    Lauren
    www.thefashionistasdiary.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your tip of having it set out where you can see it--so true when it comes to the gym!

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Me" time is so important! I try to take at least 20 minutes to read before bed each night! I find that this is just a really relaxing way for me to wind down after a long day!

    xo Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  13. One of my greatest struggles!! Me time is imperative to a healthy lifestyle!

    -Morgan
    How 2 Wear It [] http://how2wearit.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I am the opposite of most people in the sense that I NEVER let myself miss "Me" time. I know I need a lot of "Me" time to remain healthy and balanced...without it I go crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the tip on putting things in an obvious place! I'm starting to study for the Praxis, so I put the book on my bed so I knew when I got home that I needed to look at it!
    with southern grace,
    lindsey
    www.withsoutherngrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. During the week for me time I love to take time to read through my favorite blogs and write out some post ideas. I love the obvious place idea! I especially need to do that with workout clothes...

    http://thealwaysblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so great! Definitely agree on the scheduling the specific time- if I don't schedule it in, it's not happening!

    Courtney//As We Stumble Along

    ReplyDelete
  18. "Me time" is so crucial! I've been struggling lately with trying to find time to set apart for truly relaxing, but I guess the trick is to honestly write "me time" as a part of your daily routine.

    Cat
    http://classmeetscouture.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree, we all need "me" time to function well and actually scheduling it in your calendar/day is a great idea because it's really easy to just keep going without that little break. I love reading blogs when I have a few minutes and magazines are always a perfect way to unwind when you don't have a lot of time :)

    Tracy
    www.TracysNotebookofStyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great tips! I'm so terrible at prioritizing me time. I have 3 jobs, a puppy, a blog, and a social life! I feel like I don't have any time for anything, but I think if I actually block time out like you said, I may actually do it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I ALWAYS need to carve out some "me" time each day, it's what keeps me grounded and relaxed! I get so stressed if I have no "me" time, it's definitely an essential in my life!
    Rebecca
    www.sunnyrebecca.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm currently stalking your blog reading random posts here and there and just had to stop and say...we have the same running shoes!! That's all. I LOVE them. :)

    ReplyDelete

Have any thoughts on my post? Please share- I love hearing from my readers! Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...