Sunday, November 2, 2014

All Hallows Eve

Happy Sunday, my friends! 

This weekend was a blast. There is no other way to put it! For me, Halloween is a time to tap back into my inner sorority girl and put together a great costume. I prefer to make my costumes, and usually put a significant amount of time into planning and creating each one. Due to the craziness of the past few weeks, I wasn't able to put in ANY time to even think about what I wanted to do for a costume- so it came down to what I had stored away in my closet. Thankfully, I had a lovely flapper dress, feather headband, fishnet stockings, and some beaded necklaces to pull a costume together in a hurry! With a quick trip to CVS for the last minute essentials {black eyeliner, false eyelashes, and cranberry lipstick} I was good to go! 

On Friday, I went out with one of my girlfriends up in Clarendon. I hadn't experienced any nightlife there up to this point and really enjoyed myself. I will say that I was pretty surprised at how quiet the streets were for Halloween to fall on a Friday night! I'm not sure if the cold temperatures scared people away or if everyone was making the trip into Georgetown for the crazy experience that I've heard Halloween is out there. Regardless- we had a wonderful night of sweet cocktails, loud music, and funny conversations. That's an A+ night in my book! 

I have to admit that the flapper costume came together pretty well! The trickiest part for me was doing makeup. I have pretty fair skin and do not ever wear heavy eye make-up because it is overwhelming on my complexion in my opinion. However, every single photo I found on Google had dark eyeshadow and red lips so I knew I was going to just have to suck it up and do it! Although it was tricky, I found the simplest way to put it all together. I used my Naked 2 palette by Urban Decay {which is my go-to for nighttime looks} and went to town with a heavy hand. I used a black crayon liner to line my lids, smudging with the blackout shadow for a dramatic effect. Above that, I used the pistol shadow to fill in up to the crease and blended the liner edges with blackout again for continuity. For a little sparkle, I used the half baked shadow at/above my crease and highlighted my brow with foxy shadow. After making sure everything was blended and even, I applied the false lashes. I think it is best to do this last so you are able to get up close to your eyelid without the lashes in the way to apply shadow! Overall, it was simple and had just the right effect! For my lips, I used Maybelline's Color Sensational Creamy Matte lipstick in Divine Wine. It stayed put with minimal effort/touch-ups to look nice and didn't bleed around my lips. I highly recommend it!

Here is a glimpse of the costume:

flapper, halloween


What did you do for Halloween 2014? Any unique costumes? How do you deal with a last minute costume demand?

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Love your flapper look! I love making homemade costumes too, and have lots of go-tos from my college days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's so great to have a few choices to fall back on in a bind. :)

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete

Have any thoughts on my post? Please share- I love hearing from my readers! Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...