Monday, November 10, 2014

Sonder

Hi there! I wanted to give y'all some insight into my name choice for this blog. As previously stated, the 'peachy' represents the fact that I am from Georgia. We are known for our peaches, and the sweet southern girls from my home state are often referred to as 'Georgia Peaches'. Pretty self explanatory, no? 


sonder

As for the rest of my title, the word 'sonder' is relatively new to my vocabulary. By definition:
"sonder n. the realization that each random passerby is living a life as vivid and complex as your own—populated with their own ambitions, friends, routines, worries and inherited craziness—an epic story that continues invisibly around you like an anthill sprawling deep underground, with elaborate passageways to thousands of other lives that you’ll never know existed, in which you might appear only once, as an extra sipping coffee in the background, as a blur of traffic passing on the highway, as a lighted window at dusk."
This is incredibly humbling to me. All too often, we become consumed by our own lives- making everything about my troubles, my agenda, my excitements, my details- that we forget how many other things are going on in the world around us. We are each just one piece of a complex puzzle. I think it's also very freeing to realize that life is so much bigger than what's going on within the parameters of my day-to-day. Keeping that in mind helps me shift the focus from myself to others in my life. I think that our self-centered tendencies are innate and completely human, but that doesn't always result in the healthiest lifestyle or thought process.


I have always been a people watcher. I think it's completely fascinating to have a glimpse into other people's days/lives- even if just for a few seconds as they pass you by. What are they thinking? Where are they going? What made them behave in that way? These are just a few questions that pop into my head. Since learning what sonder means, this word is all too present in my mind every day. It grounds me and prompts me to live with more awareness than ever before.


With that being said, I couldn't think of a better title for my blog to express my feelings about my current journey through life. Something that ties me to my roots, yet challenges my views and reminds me to take note of my surroundings.

Thank you for reading and joining me on my 'peachy sonder'! 

xox. T

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have any thoughts on my post? Please share- I love hearing from my readers! Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...